The New PHP-Fusion USA
by NetriX - 10 months ago

Official Announcements

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Member's IP Address
afoster
I have found a panel that shows when members have logged into the site, but what I would like to know is if it is possible to determine when a member has just visited the site. Perhaps it can be tracked by the member's IP address?

Advertisement
skpacman
so, you only want to track members, not guests?? ( just making sure I read that correctly)

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand binary,
and those who don't...

Tyler
Or just query the users table and use the user_lastvisit field....

Just an example of the query no data is looped.
Download source  Code
$result = dbquery("SELECT user_id, user_name, user_status, user_avatar, user_lastvisit FROM ".DB_USERS." ORDER BY user_lastvisit DESC LIMIT 10");

afoster
In re-reading my original post I see that I was not very clear on what I am looking for. I know that I have members who are visiting the site, but are not loging in when visiting the site. Since any guest will do the same, I was trying to find out if I could determine which of those "guests" were actually members and I thought that the way to do that would be by the IP address.

Tyler
You could do it with the IP but it's not reliable....

afoster
Tyler, I assume that you are saying that unless they have a static IP address, I may never know? I had thought about that, but assuming they are login in from their home computer, that IP address should always be the same should it not?

skpacman
Then there's people like me that log in from work, home, and my mobile. Each time I connect, it changes my recorded IP to whatever I last connected with. So if I connect from my mobile, go home and connect with my PC, it won't recognize me until it updates in the DB again.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand binary,
and those who don't...

KasteR
There are some good points here. Maybe have a cache of "known" ips that the member has used historically. This, along with location, may be more viable information, than simply none. Guess you would use it, knowing this already. Although I do agree w/Tyler, there's no way to know for sure. Better than nothing I suppose.

afoster
Based on these responses, it appears that I can't determine if my members are visiting the site without logging in.

Jump to Forum: